What do you know about Podgorica…?
How to get there…
Podgorica is the hub of all main roads in the country. Besides the hospitality of the people,safety is something that is meant when you come to the capital of Montenegro.
Podgorica has excellent geographical location, good road and air connections. The proximity of European centers of the north and the south of Montenegro make it easily accessible. Distance from the Adriatic Sea is about 40 km of the air line and 60 km of the ground line and just 19 km far from Lake Skadar. It is situated at a distance of 12 km from Podgorica Airport, 81 km from Tivat Airport and 153 km from Cilipi in Dubrovnik (Croatia).
Did you know this about Podgorica...
- It is the capital of the youngest European country with the constructed image of quality tourist destination and an atypical major city with lots of interesting places to discover,
- It is the place connecting the north and south, the mountains and the sea. At only an hour away from the sea and the highest mountain peaks that exceed the height of 2000 meters and at the same time a place where you can smell the freshness of the Mediterranean and mountain peaks,
- That on its territory is archaeological sites Duklja and Medun – fragments of ancient times from the Illyrian period and the settlement of Illyrian tribes Dokleats and Labeati.
- That on its territory even has two national parks of the five existing in Montenegro : NP “Skadar Lake” and National Park “Prokletije”.
Skadar Lake is one of the most important tourism resources Montenegro and Podgorica. Natural jewel , the origin of several civilizations, medieval spiritual and cultural center.
The richness of flora and fauna , the phenomenon of crypto depressions , habitat for rare and endangered species of birds, makes it unique in the region and beyond . Offers visitors many opportunities for pleasure and recreation. Hiking trails , ride or sail the boat trips, cycling, beach holidays , visits to the island’s churches and monasteries…
- That have two attractive canyon Moraca and Cijevna.
- That will give you the opportunity to experience an active holiday and the possibility of extreme sports ( hiking & biking, birdwatching , climbing, kayaking…).
- Podgorica consists of several areas characteristic to its geography. In the area of houses and Pipera, agricultural production and livestock dominate the growing fruit species, while mountain potato in this area excellent works. Here one can find ponds in which it is grown excellent trout.
- That on its territory, in Cemovsko field is considered by many the most beautiful, but certainly Europe’s largest vineyard in one complex (2350 ha, 11 million grapevines), surrounded by a marvelous canyon river pipe.
- It is a city of sport and sports legend. CITY OF CHAMPION OF EUROPE HANDBALL TEAM “BUDUCNOST”.
DO NOT MISS TO...
- The clock tower and old town – the most beautiful example of architecture remaining from the Ottoman period. Height (16 m ) still dominates the area of the Old Towns. It was built in the seventeenth century Hafiz Pasha.
Doclea – At only 4 km from the center of the ancient decoration of Podgorica dates from the 1st century n.e.
- Medun – The village of Medun is situated about 12 kilometers north-east from Podgorica, in the Kuci area. It is known for monumental complex that consists of the remains of the Illyrian city Meteon, St. Nikola`s Church and the birthplace of Marco Miljanov, a hero and famous writer, now a memorial museum of the city.
- Meteon was one of the centers of the Illyrian tribes Labeati that ruled the Lake Skadar basin. There was a late fourth or early third century BC, in hard ridge that dominates the Medun field. Today, the only visible parts of the massive defensive walls built in the so-called Cyclopean technique. Remains of the town of Medun, with occasional preserved corners and walls, mostly belong to the medieval Turkish fortress.
Among the remains of the fort is the church of St. Nikola, built in the early eighteenth century, according to tradition, on the foundations of an older church.
Next to the church, there are the tombs of Marko Miljanov and his wife Stefa and below, on the saddle-shaped ridge, birthplace of Marko Miljanov Popovic, warrior, statesman and writer, one of the most important figures in the Montenegrin history of the nineteenth century.
- Sastavci or Steps – located at the mouth of the river Ribnica in a popular gathering place for the young people.
Religious monuments – The temple of Christ`s Ressurection, monumental temple, the third largest Orthodox church in the world, the Church of St. George- dates from the IX- XI century ; the Osmanagic mosque – built in the late eighteenth century, the Roman Catholic Church – built in 1969.There are monastery complexes: the Dajbabe Monastery (1897), the Monastery of Celija Piperska (1637) and Monastery of Duga Moracka (1755).
- The palace complex in Krusevac – The former Winter Palace of King Nikola I Petrovic is surrounded by a beautiful forest park and during the summer months it represents a sort of art and exhibition scene and one of the favorite places of citizens. There is also the Church of Saint Demetrius.
- Lake Skadar – a true pearl and a unique nature reserve. The lake aquatorium is decorated with numerous islands called ” hills ” with cultural – historical buildings.
- Glacial lakes
- Lake Rikavac
Lake Rikavac is yet undiscovered jewel of nature. It`s beautiful, clear, glacial lake in the Kuci mountains, at 1,313 meters above sea level. It can`t be reached by car, but for hikers it¸is another magical discovery of natural harmon.
- Lake Bukumir
- The Komovi
- The City Museum – Thee are archaeological, cultural, historical, ethnographic and historical collection center in it.
- Wine cellars “Plantaze” – Visit and wine tasting in the wine cellar Šipcanik, Ćemovsko polje i Lješko polje.
Shopping in one of four large shopping centers :
- Delta City
- Mall of Montenegro
- The Capital Plaza
The nightlife, which create numerous pubs, bars and clubs in the city, stepping cautiously – there lurk women who have the reputation to be among the most beautiful European women.